Thursday, February 3, 2011

Secret Doors

While, I both philosophically and practically appreciate the old school processes of wandering monsters, one thing that I'm getting disenchanted with are secret doors.  The players ending up missing some interesting stuff by not finding secret doors.  My effort gets wasted, they miss out on treasure (since I end up putting hidden treasures in secret rooms more often than not).   It doesn't help that the players don't have any elves who have a chance of sensing them even if they aren't looking.  I also don't really want to have the players spending hours searching every stretch of hallway.   Concealed doors are better, players are more likely to try to check behind pieces of furniture or piles of lumber etc.   They risk finding traps or monsters, but more of the concealed rooms are found.  I think I'm going to drastically limit secret doors to places where the players might have some clue or hint that something is missing or a way out is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment