Tuesday, December 27, 2016

TABP Project #25: Big Crowd of Riflemen

I bought a pack of 30 guys from Old Glory (Old Glory being a combination of acceptable quality and low price).  They were titled "Dismounted American Cavalry" from the Pershing Expedition against Pancho Villa (1916).  I picked them out because I thought they had a really good potential for a wide variety of use.   I divided them into some squads of 5-6 and tried a variety of paint schemes for different uses:

Here's the crowd, primed:

First, here are a squad painted with beige uniforms, to represent typical soldiers of 1910-1940 for using as Army troops, national guard, state police, mercenaries.  At first I had their hats beige too, but they really needed a contrasting hat, so I made them brown.
Next I painted some as the Negro 10th Cavalry, with dark blue shirts, so they could be used for Wild West too.   They look less purple in person.

Next I painted some in Spanish-American War era colors, with tan pants and hats, but light blue shirts, I really like these.

Then I tried something different and painted the shirts red and the britches blue.  They should be good as armed civilians, hunters, moonshiners, and other rustics.   These I particularly liked too.  If you squint a bit, they could be used as Mounties too, if we have to fight the notorious Canadian super-villain Captain Politeness.
Then I painted a squad with Green shirts and hats, to represent regular soldiers.
Finally, I painted up the 2 captains, who may be usable as PC's:




I pleased with the batch as a whole.   I wanted a bulk group to use as rank-and-file bad guys and henchmen and allies, and I think they fit the bill nicely.   I don't know what went wrong with my camera this time, everything came out blurry, but what are you going to do?

1 comment:

  1. Looks to me like one figure is in focus and the others are blurry. Might be a depth of field setting to get them all. Or it might just be my bi-focals.

    ReplyDelete