Friday, January 23, 2015

No Work, XCOM

Since I finished my Crusaders project, I haven't post much on Doctor Skull's Workshop, since I haven't been doing much "work."   I haven't done any painting since then or building.   I do have some things on the horizon.   I still haven't played the Crusades game with the school kids, but I'm thinking of giving it a go next week.  


I have a lot of models to build.   There's a medieval fortress, a frontier church, and a barn all of which might go well with fantasy campaigns or with some sort of modernish game.


I also have an assortment of WW2 light vehicles.   I'm thinking of doing some sort of modern or sci-fi or pulp-type project and have a bunch of modern plastics that would go with those vehicles.


Most of my time lately, however is back to playing XCOM.  Two winters ago I played a lot of XCOM Enemy Unknown.  Last winter it was the expansion XCOM Enemy Within.  But, then my X-box broke.   After failing to fix it, Katie and I went 50/50 on an X-box One, but then found out it doesn't play X-box 360 games, and XCOM isn't available for X-box One (I know too many Xes).


Then I remembered that our family laptop is pretty new and thought it could handle the PC version of XCOM, and sure enough it did.   I played a campaign of Enemy Unknown, and found out that there was a super-awesome Mod for Enemy Within called "Long War."   So I got that all downloaded and fired-up.   I must say that Long War is really fantastic.   It fixes many of the limitations of Enemy Within, more classes, better choices of equipment, more soldiers on the field at a time, more interesting interceptor combat.  It also makes the campaign less predictable and linear, and more sand-boxy, much like the original X-COM UFO Defense from the 90's.   Good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. i have a heap of paddle pop sticks and some glue
    i reckon i could knock up a pretty decent barn in a few days

    do you want the barn design pretty much the same way we see barns around town here do you want the roof removable further more how big do you want it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You misunderstand me. I have bought plastic model kits of a fortress, barn and church, I just haven't put them together yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh cos i was wondering what to build with these paddle pop sticks i was thinking of knocking up some pallisade walls

    ReplyDelete