Sunday, December 13, 2020

Plaster Cast Rampart Project--Part 1 Making a Mold

 I decided to use plaster of Paris to create some earthen ramparts, since making a model of a pile of dirt doesn't take immense artistic know-how.

STEP-1

In the gear book, a standard length of rampart is 75' (15").  15" is a bit long for storage and non-breakablity, so I decided to make half sections of 7.5".

First I made a cardboard model, from a paper-towel tube and a piece of packing cardboard.  The extended base was intended to represent the area where the front ditch could be represented/painted (I later decided to remove this).


STEP-2:  I filled a box with sand, to form the mold.   I bought All-Purpose Sand, which is really filled with rocky chunks.


STEP-3:  I smoothed out the sand, roughly scooped out the center and pressed the cardboard model into the sand.


STEP-4  Removed the model, leaving the cavity/mold



No comments:

Post a Comment