Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Feat or Not to Feat

I've replaced the first draft of the Feat of Arms document with Draft #2 on the Badlands Main page: http://www.lordsofhack.com/home/doku.php?id=badlands

I've added a bunch of new feats, from Bitchslap to Spear Catching to Unarmed Master.

I've also changed the text of some of the feats.

I added the Berserker's rage class ability as a mandatory first level Feat choice for Berserkers.  

I've also took the Fighter/Paladin/Ranger/Berserker ability to make multiple attacks against low-level opponents and turned it into a feat of arms.  So, warriors will have to chose it instead of getting it automatically.

I meant to get a feeling from the assembled crew as to whether we are ready to apply the feats of arms rules to the campaign at the next session.   Read over the document, and tell me whether we should use feats or not next time.

If anyone has comments on any of the feats of arms or are missing something we could add to the list please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! I like that you re-added the pimp-slap. The little bastard and daggerman feats are pure genius, too.

    In our last adventure, I wanted to knock a dude back. Could that be a feat -- making that easier to do? Any thoughts on a tumble feat? Maybe someone could move past adjacent dudes at half speed while not taking attacks of opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, knock back is a good idea, I'll whip something up.

    You can use Hero's Leap to jump over a dude. Doesn't Mobility's +4 AC againt free attacks work well enough?

    Maybe a feat that let's one move through friendlies would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I guess Mobility is the move -- no need to duplicate.

    Is there anything in the game like "weapon finesse" where a melee weapon would use the dex attack adjustment rather than the strength adjustment?

    Are these "feats of arms" also applicable to wizard's rods, staves, and wands? For example, at level 2 could a wizard spend it to get +1 on his staff of starlight or wand of shadows?

    Any feats to trip or disarm? Could I spend a feat for a bonus that might be non-military related such as a new skill or field of knowledge? Maybe a toughness feat to allow a body to take more damage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to keep the feats for warlike things.
    We'd need a full skill system to start mucking around with skills, and I really don't want to go there. If you want your character to have some knowledge area, but it in his background, or spend some game time studying it.

    I guess Toughness could go in.

    Disarm is already in the regular combat rules, but no one has tried it yet:

    "Disarm Attack: a warrior can elect to disarm an enemy instead of dealing damage. He must hit AC0 to disarm his target. If the warrior is attacking with a lasso or whip, he only needs to hit AC5 to disarm his target."
    Combat Rulebook page 5

    I'd allow Weapon Focus to apply to Wands etc., sure. If you really want Weapon Finese, why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of weapon finesse, and I'm sure the thieves, etc would like it too.

    I have a whip on my dwarf, just haven't used it yet, for basically anything at all.

    Would shield brothers only be usable with one particular individual, or anybody that has that feat?

    I would suggest something like an Intimidating War Cry. A rebel yell, or some such, that spooks your foes into maybe having to make a morale check, or suffer a -1 to hit and damage at the end of your charge. Maybe if the enemy rolls badly enough, they'd carry that penalty for the rest of the fight. I'm thinking this would be something for berserkers, especially.

    Otherwise, it's looking good.

    ReplyDelete