Friday, July 20, 2012

PC teams

I liked it when you guys sent just a part of your crew off to Porozlo last session (although Jason didn't get the memo and brought all his guys and npcs).  I just think there's more role-playing and creative solutions when working with a handful rather than a throng.

So, I was thinking that perhaps we could semi-permanently divide the crew into three teams or sections.  Each player would have one character in each team.  You would decide which team is best for each mission and that group would go.

We almost have a clear division:

Team A (assault team):  Colonel Lee, Jack Murdoch, "The Remedy", and Dorkon

Team B (sophisticates):  Verdun Thul, Roland McGintley, Reginald Stuffington, Chum Lee[?]

Team C (streetwise):  Rat Lee, Yes Paul, Doc Spurlock, Skip Jockley

The only one who doesn't really fit is Chum Lee.  Maybe we can consider letting Marlon replace Chum the barbarian (who is perpetually caught bringing a knife to a gun fight) with a Space-oriented guy of some sort (maybe even swapping one of the NPC's and making Chum into an NPC).

Anyway, it's an idea for the "landing party" missions.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea I say!

    I'm also all for Marlon creating a new character or swapping out one for the other. We could particularly use a space-captain of sorts to lead the ship into battle.

    However, I don't know that each mission or story "thread" should have a set "team". I could see a situation where including an ad-hoc mix of characters for an "away team" would be beneficial. For example, for a diplomatic mission where we "do business" but might have to fight and/or sneak our way out, we might include Stuffington, "The Remedy", Dorkon, and Rat.

    Another issue is that a character such as Roland McGintley is of limited value anywhere but on the Death Ranger. With Pilot, Navigation, Mechanical, Electronics, and Gunnery could *just about* fly that ship all by himself if he had to.

    I say that rather than creating static teams, we say that our mercenary/henchmen who are hired to tend the ship refuse to leave the ship and do shore duty. That is, unless we specifically hire marine-type henchmen.

    Another way to solve this may be for each player to get their own ship. That would be awesome! I call dibbs on the Death Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, all my main characters came along, but I only brought one of my 'hired guns'. I only brought Screaming Jack Murdoch because he had extremely limited playing to do. He pilots a ship's boat really well, but we don't have a ship's boat. So I just brought him along to see if he couldn't get a couple more skill checks, but my mistake was deciding to do it after we had basically decided we were leaving the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Andrew. Spaceships for ALL! Yaaar! Space Buccaneers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave you two, and you lost one of them. That's why we can't have nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't LOSE it! Those bullies stole it from me :(

    ReplyDelete