Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Portchester News Ledger

I decided that I would revive an old practice I've used in some campaigns:  that of issuing an in-game "newspaper."  I did this in a 2e game I ran in Virginia, right before I moved back to town, and in several of the early 3e games we played here, and in the d20 Traveller campaign.

This one is called the Portchester News Ledger.  The premise is that it is a collection of reports of events by various npcs in the city.  The purpose is to show the actions of the PC's from a "subjective" external view in order to accomplish several ends.  First, it aids in establishing the depth of the setting by reminding everyone of the consequences of certain actions.  Second, it allows me to drop the occasional hint, suggestion, or adventure lead.  Third, it allows me to mess with people's heads.  Fouth, and finally, it allows me to bust on people and make fun of them.

I'll send the issues out as I make them.  But will also put them on the wiki here:

http://www.lordsofhack.com/home/doku.php?id=portchester_news_ledger

1 comment:

  1. Ooo...dibs on the first player character obituary!

    This is actually a pretty cool idea. It sort of reminds me of the town yeller making announcements in the tv series 'Rome', that were usually tied in with what all the characters in the show were doing at the time.

    You know, I find myself rather curious about how the encounter with the white stag would've gone if we'd have had a druid or elf with us, as a player. My character is rather pleased to have had a hand in offing some pagan hell-beast.

    ReplyDelete