Thursday, October 18, 2018

Amulet of Battle Vigour

One thing I want to avoid in this or any D&D campaign is AC inflation.  Characters with AC above 0 (old school) get broken very fast.   I'm really going to try to keep magic armor and shields to +1 only until perhaps characters are quite high in level, where I'd move to +2's.  


Instead, if magic armor is indicated on the treasure table, I intend to substitute an "Amulet of Battle Vigour" for 3/4 of them.   Such an amulet grants the user 4 extra hit points per "plus", and regenerates those 4 at dawn each day. 


Hit points are a better defense boost than AC, keeping the character alive in various scenarios without letting them break the system.


P.S.  I noticed that in Blueholme when you make a save vs spells and pass it, there is no "half damage",  you take full damage or nothing.   I kind of like that.

4 comments:

  1. I'm assuming you are thinking of your new campaign. I'm with you 100% on this. In the current Krondor campaign, I've offered no magic items that add to AC. The closest may have been the adamantine plate that was taken by Sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I actually kind of like the adamantine rules in 5e. The armor is normal armor AC, but makes you immune to crits.

    But I like this idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool, but moot in Blueholme as there are no crits.

    ReplyDelete