Thursday, October 4, 2018

What am I thinking?

So the Krondor D&D5e campaign is chugging along.   I'm looking forward to the Colville Stronghold book and implementing it in the game.   I can see us doing another dozen or so sessions.

After 6-7 levels, what do I think about D&D 5e?   There are some things I really like.   The fact that low level henchmen and guards are consistently useful is a big plus.   It is a lot more in line with my play style than D&D 4e or even 3e were,  the strict control of AC and the slow increase in attack and skill bonuses are really good features.

The thing I don't like is the tedious details that all end up with the same results.   I'm hesitating to roll up my replacement character for Walter, just because I don't want to face the task of working through backgrounds etc.    Likewise the immense monster stat blocks are a headache I don't need and slow down adventure prep immensely.

I recently re-read many of the logs from the Wilderlands of Hack campaign and the ACKS Gatavia 3 campaign, and realized that the whole Old School Spectrum (OD&D, Basic D&D, AD&D1 and 2 and any of their numerous clones) are really what I want to play most.   It's less stats heavy, and generally faster all around.

The Krondor campaign isn't going as I had hoped.   I really wanted it to be more sand-boxy, with players taking the initiative on the activities.   I think that the problem is with the rotating DM structure.   How it has developed is a set of 2 parallel games with overlapping characters.   One campaign is Andrew's set up dealing with the threat of the mind-flayers and intellect devourers off to the west.  The other is mine on the developing of a realm in Nearbog, and the factions of Newport (which has been neglected lately--especially since Flex Macho died, and Midnight retired, leaving most of the threads lost).

As I said, I'm not ready to quit, but feel like I want either to totally DM a campaign or just play in one, not both at once right now.  So, I have started to work on something else for the future.   I'd like to run another old school game as sole DM, at least at first or most of the time.   Who knows, by the time we're done with Krondor, my mood might be very different.   The system I'm using is called "Blueholme", which is a clone of the Holmes basic D&D from 1977, expanded to 20 levels.   I'm adding some stuff from Wilderlands of Hack campaign to it, and have redone other things, but it's a good baseline (I'll share more later about the system).

That's what I thinking, game wise.

1 comment:

  1. I've just seen these updates.

    I 100% agree with you about the failings of the Krondor campaign. Between the rotating DM, too many characters, and the loss of the wiki it really hurts.

    ReplyDelete