Monday, July 13, 2015

We demand Spanky!!

I always do this.  When I plan a campaign, I'm always super serious.  I fiddle with Theology, Cosmology and so forth in D&D,  I study the Traveller universe intently, and so forth.   Yet, when we actually play, it's always much more goofy.  It's like I plan Jonny Quest and we play Venture Brothers.   I plan Star Trek and we play Futurama.

So, while I was thinking about a straight Traveller universe campaign, theoretically,  now we have people clammering for Spanky.  

There are two paths to procede:

Create a new setting for Traveller:   pros: we can dump in all the Spankies and Crab People and Ack-Ack Martians we want just the way we want. Cons:  making the Traveller "geography" is very, very intricate and time consuming.

Or,  take the Zhodani empire, next to the PC's home 3rd Imperium and turn it from the empire of a race of psionic humans in turbans into an empire of Spankies and Martians and Crab people.   Pros: no geography work.   Cons: a strange feeling of wrongness.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy goofy as much as the next guy, but it's when the weird crap happens in the serious campaigns that we have the most fun.

    I personally like the sillier stuff with Savage Worlds, because you get silly venture brothers type stuff there always.

    ReplyDelete