Thursday, July 9, 2015

Workshop's Back Open

I finally made my Saving Throw against X-COM.   I'm still not finished with it, but have broken it's evil soul-consuming spell, and can actually get myself on the hobby trail again.

Next week I'm going to get started with miniatures and maybe models again.  Since I've been thinking about Traveller, I decided to get a few miniatures in the Traveller realm,   One set I've ordered are some armed guys in Space Suits from Victory Forge,  they have a lot of other space crew (not at all Star Trek rip-offs) that look fun, but I decided to order only 1 blister so I can see if their size plays well with the size of the sci-fi miniatures I've already got.

Another interesting thing is that I've always avoided certain published adventures and connected themes, because I don't have any miniatures that are appropriate for the Traveller alien race called the Droyne.

The Droyne are a winged, reptilian race who although they don't posses a star-spanning empire are nonetheless an important part of the Trav universe.

Here's an image:

I asked around the old geezers in Traveller fandom and they pointed me to these figures, re-casts by RAFM of old Citadel 15mm  Droyne

They are now called "Dracos" for license reasons.   Their wings are very stubby, but I sort of consider that a bonus, since miniatures with wings are usually a pain in the schwartz.   They're also 15mm, when most of my miniatures are 25mm, but that isn't too much of an issue in this case, since Droyne are supposed to be really small, hobbit or gnome size I guess.   Well, I bough 20 of them (15mm are much more reasonably priced as well).

Neither order has arrived yet, but I have various monkey men and flying monkeys, and model buildings and vehicles to work on in the mean time.  \\

Since I'm taking the family up to State College on Saturday, and we have our ACKS game on Sunday, I won't get around to actual fiddling until Monday, but I'm getting geared up.

I have been poking around with Traveller materials, re-reading adventures (published and home-made) looking at the last campaign materials.  Man, I still have a really good, complete set of NPC cards for employees, separated by function (mercenaries, ship crew etc).   I made up 2 more ==Pedro Gonzales and Henry Spacely to get my beak wet again.  

I think the rules set we were using (Classic Traveller with the Striker game personal combat and Mayday game ship combat woven in) should work just fine.  I'm thinking of adding a few minor rules changes but nothing big.

No comments:

Post a Comment