Friday, May 18, 2012

Breaking In (With Forgery!)

While putting together my customary campaign gear book, I wanted to include an "Electronic Lock Pick", a device used to pick locks that used a retinal scan, finger print, pass word, or voice code.  I thought I would use the Electronics skill to acheive the task roll, but ran into a problem.  It seems that the Rogue career, the one most interested in lock-picking, does not have Electronics skill as an available option.

I looked over the list a few times and it finally hit me that I should use the Forgery skill.   I mean, forging paper documents suddenly seemed so 20th century.   Forgery for me now will be the main skill used for computer crime on high tech worlds.   You need to forge passwords, access codes, authentication protocols (is that a thing?) and so forth.

3 comments:

  1. Ooo...you need to include advanced puppetry as a skill, for the 'Occupy space' protestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgery is perfect. That would essentially be what they are doing. Creating a false record or false credentials. That "lockpicking" skill would then also apply to computer hacking and the like.

    I had once considered creating a website that would give players the ability to actually "hack" a computer to get information and leads. It would take a whole lot of work though and I'm not sure that it would fit with the types of games we play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided after a while to port the "Intrusion" skill down from MegaTraveller. It covers regular lockpicking and electronic lock picking, as long as you have the corresponding tools.

    You need both Computer and Intrusion skill to break into a computer system, but a "Network Assault Key" can cover for the Intrusion side.

    Forgery will still be used if you want to leave credible information behind you after you break in.

    ReplyDelete