Monday, May 14, 2012

A Scale Problem

After my three big play-tests, I'm prety well satisfied with the details of the Space Combat rules that I've stitched together from the various rules sets. I haven't tested out Fighter squadrons, but the other play tests lead me to believe that if they're packed full of missiles they'll be awesome, and if they mount lasers they'll suck.

I've moved on to the Personal Combat side of things.  I wanted to use the basic framework of the Striker miniatures game, but with more of a role-play side spin on it.   I also wanted to strip away a lot of the over-crunchiness of the vehicle and weapon design system.  Finally, I wanted to be able to interface star ships, vehicles and hand weapons together smoothly and consistently.  I've had a lot of practice doing this (with my other homebrews, and the d20 Traveller play test) and think I have it all worked out, except for one big problem:  Ground Scale.

The weapon data I used came from Striker.  The scale used there was 1cm equals 10 meters, and it was meant for 15mm miniatures.  It was simple to take the data, multiply by 10, and get the ranges and area of effects in meters.   This is handy because the various descriptions of weaponry outside of Striker use descriptions in meters. 

The problem is that most of the published deckplans use a scale of 1 square equals 1.5 meters.  So that means, if we use that scale, I'll have to change all the ranges to "Squares" dividing the ranges by 1.5.  I'll either have to go back and make all those changes by hand, or we'll have to constantly do divison at the table.   The other option is to use a 1 square or inch equals 1 meter and have all the deck plans be wrong.   I suppose we could just fudge and say that on non-published maps 1 inch equals 1 meter, and on deckplans we'll just say that the ranges and explosive effects are reduced by a factor of 1.5.  It won't matter much for range, since inside a space ship most all gunfire is short range. Or thirdly, we could measure ranges and area of effects with a metric ruler where 1cm equals 1 meter, and 1 square would then equal 1.5 meters, but we wouldn't use the squares for much.

No comments:

Post a Comment