Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Building the Headquarters

I've had an idea about the Headquarters Building.


I was just going to make maps of it on the big grid paper, maybe put it on the wall in place of the Gatavia Maps there now.


But,  I was looking at my street map-grid.   Each "block" on the street grid mat is about 20" by 20".


The cardboard boxes I bought to build Bushwhack Canyon are 18x18x6.  One of those boxes should nicely fill in one block on the street mat.   6" tall, should make a 3-story building (the Wild West towns are 2" tall).


So,  I'm thinking of printing out some brick work on paper, gluing it to the outside,  cutting some cardboard floors, walls and roof and having at least the headquarters building, maybe some more, less elaborate ones too.   I've got tons of those Grecian Pillars, that might be nice for the entrance to a bank (or courthouse or post office--maybe a single building with changeable sign). 


Doors and windows are the biggest hitch.  I've ordered some from a model railroad company (S gauge is apparently the equivalent of our miniatures scale, but it's not a common scale). 

4 comments:

  1. I had thought of building some city blocks, too. I'll think about 20"x20" as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time your by, have a look at my city street grid map, I need to measure it a bit more carefully and get a good sense of the whole layout, I just briefly measured a bit or two while it was draped over Bushwhack canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some printable PDF files for buildings and walls and such. I've built some, but I think they'd work better built with that foam board stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are they 20th century, or Old West?

    ReplyDelete