Thursday, September 16, 2010

Clear Thinking

I need to do a little clear thinking.  When I consider my last two rules musings, I've come to the same conclusion about both.   If I want to use AD&D 1e, I should only change those things that are causing some problems.  I should try to keep close to the text unless necessary for some reason.  Adding the extra hit die is preferable to the kicker, since it keeps the game closer to the text and solves the problem of brittle low-level PCs.  Likewise, I think that I should keep to the class and level limits in the book as written.  It's entirely possible to play any of the non-human characters as written and plenty of people did.  If someone wants to bitch about the level limits, I guess I'll just have to listen to the bitchin and live with it.

2 comments:

  1. Less complicated is good. We can always find ways to complicate things later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the extra little boost with the extra die will make starting at first level at least a little more tolerable. On the other hand, why do we have to start at first level? What if we started at 3rd with no extra die?

    ReplyDelete