Monday, September 6, 2010

Miniature Painting Progress

     This past summer I made a great deal of progress in painting the huge pile of unpainted lead figures I had accumulated.   3 or 4 years ago, I was thinking of getting into Warhammer Ancient Battles.  I'm really interested in the 4th, 5th and 6th centuries and started to collect and paint troops from that period.  Then Old Glory had a huge sale, like 40% off.  So, I bought a bunch of packs that would help me put together a full Late Roman army and a barbarian army of the period.   Then, Warhammer came out with a new edition of the rule books and I got disgusted with the process.  I had painted a bunch of the minis, but now didn't "need" some of them for army building purposes.  I still use them all for roleplaying purposes, and for occasional mini skirmishes.

As I was saying, this summer I got the mojo to do some serious painting.   I finished my Lombard cavalry. all of my Roman legionaries and javelin-men, and tonight I managed to finish all my Frankish axemen.  (Old Glory sells cavalry in packs of 10, infantry in packs of 30).  I also painted my set of 20 SWAT team members I had bought for a Savage Worlds game a couple years ago.   Finally, I finished re-painting all of the miniatures I had since I was a kid in the late 70's. 

So, looking at my remaining unpainted miniatures, I have the following inventory:
  • A pack of 30 Saxon spearmen---gads.  another set of Dark Ages spearmen
  • 3 special figures:  Loki, Blackbeard and Helen of Troy--of a larger scale than I use
  • 20 or so Roman "Command" figures:  officers, trumpeters and flag-men, more than I ever needed
  • A big box of old Grenedier fantasy figures that my old roommate Pete sent me.  Many of these are the same as my own old figures, but they are generally awesome.
  • Finally, those damned frog-dudes.   I have this little bag of science-fiction frog-dudes with ray guns.   There must be 30 or so of them, but they are way too small.  Most of my figures are 25mm, but these frog-dudes are 10mm or 15mm at the most.  I just don't see what I'd use them for and how I would paint them, being so wee.
I usually paint a group of 5 to 8 guys at a time, and it takes me about an hour to get them done.  If I can keep myself painting once a week or so, I should be through the whole pile by the winter sometime.  Then, my purchasing vistas will be guilt-free once again.

2 comments:

  1. About ten years ago I started buying bulk misc. piles of figures off of ebay. A very few were painted, a few were half (or half-assed) painted, but most were not painted at all. Got quite a few monsters, as I was trying to collect a good cross-section of critters. Haven't bought much since then, other than a couple of warhammer night goblins I had a friend paint up for a warhammer RPG campaign I did.

    My biggest problem with painting is I keep trying to paint them as masterpieces, and I just don't have the knack or patience to do it like that. So every time I come over I kind of take notes on how you've painted stuff, because I'd really like to start painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A masterpiece paint job is beyond me. I really can't even do eyes and things that are that precise. I try to make up for quality with quantity.

    I do have one innovation I'm proud of, my "handles". I take an old testors paint jar, take a piece of poster tack and stick it to the lid, then shove each miniature onto the poster tack when I paint. Then I can manipulate the figure without actually touching it.

    ReplyDelete