Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Level Limits and Multi-classes

If we play by AD&D 1e rules, non-humans are significantly limited as to class choice, and even then have maximum levels of those classes.  I personally have no problem with the limitations whatsoever, but I know that other people do.  It wouldn't phase me a bit if we played with those old-school limitations, but on the other hand, from our experience with D&D 3e, I know that the world doesn't come to an end if we allow all races to play all classes and to not use the level limits.

If that were the case, I would think that we'd have to allow humans to multi-class just like non-humans.  We'd also have to give some power to humans to compensate for their loss of level exclusivity.  Maybe something like humans get 1 free re-roll per game session (generally, I'm trying to keep "benny" style re-rolls to a minimum). 

I guess I'd have to make up a new set of multi-class guidelines too, if we opened up classes and levels freely.

1 comment:

  1. I know in one 2e campaign I played in, we used the 1e level limits and multiclass combinations for non-human characters, but once they reached their limits, they had to earn double the required experience points for each level beyond that. I'm afraid I can't recall many details about how well it worked, other than basically we had a lot of single-classed people (other than my elf fighter/mage/thief) and it ended well before we got even close to any limits. I can't entirely endorse this, but we thought the DM made a good argument for it.

    I wouldn't be opposed to any race any class (though the idea of dwarf wizards bugs seems wrong...while the idea of halfling berserkers fills me with giddy glee).

    I actually kind of like the human 'benny' idea as a benefit for being human, as it sort of fits with the idea of the humans inheriting the world from the other races that is very common in a lot of fantasy stories. It's a nice extra, but it's not terribly overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete