Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mapping

This past Sunday Andrew was talking about a map-making section on the new Lords of Hack website.  I expressed a preference for squares over hexes.   But, when we were talking, I forgot to mention the most important reason why I much prefer squares over hexes, namely, the fact that squares scale much more easily.

I love the old World of Greyhawk hex map from the late 70's.  It's really a fantastic campaign map.  But, every time I try to use it for campaigns, I really hate the hexes when it comes time to make "closer in" maps of areas.  You need hex paper and unless you have one that has a big hex pre-drawn on it, it is difficult to effectivrly scale the map.

With squares, nothing is simpler.  If the big map's squares are 50 miles across, then a smaller map can have squares that are 5 miles across and it is very easy to make an accurate smaller scale map.   Hexes just don't scale as cleanly and neatly.   I also find it nearly impossible to figure what the area of a hex actually is.  It is a very messy process to calculate, while a square is completely easy.

For the upcoming campaign, here are the mapping conventions I've worked up:

MAPPING CONVENTION

PROVINCE:  a standard mapping province is a territory 200 miles by 200 miles or 40,000 square miles.  (This is about 90% of the area of Pennsylvania,  80% of the area of England, or about 20% of the area of France or about three times the size of Switzerland or Denmark.)

REGION:  each province is divided into 16 regions (4x4) each of which is 50 miles by 50 miles or 2500 square miles (This is about the size of Delaware or twice the county of Kent in England or just under 3 times the size of York County Pennsylvania).

DISTRICT:  each region is divided into 25 districts (5x5) each if which is 10 miles by 10 miles or 100 square miles (This is about 1/9 of the size of York County PA or 4 times the size of York Township).

3 comments:

  1. I always picked squares for maps I made because my father had like a hundred pads of 11"x17" 1/4" square graph paper he brought home and gave to me. I could have, quite literally, papered pretty much all of my house with the sheets if I wanted to. The groups I was with never did a lot of intricate travel, but basically I agree that squares are easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am working on blocks. I may stagger them, though. What do you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my purposes, I'd prefer to see a straight grid, That makes it easier to transfer info to/from maps made on graph paper.

    ReplyDelete