Sunday, September 5, 2010

What are the problems?

There are several things I don’t like about AD&D that I’m going to have to modify.


• As much as old-school purists wax nostalgic about the purity of it, players just don’t like playing first level D&D characters of any version. The characters are too brittle and the players just are killing time until they get to 2nd or 3rd level.

• I personally dislike the uselessness of level 0 human soldiers in AD&D. What good is it for a fighter or cleric to get a bunch of followers when they just completely suck and have no practical use?

• Morale and Unarmed combat are too complicated.

• The bard class is not worth the trouble.

• I like the treasure for experience rule, but don’t like the training rules as a method of siphoning off excess cash.

2 comments:

  1. I never saw anybody try to make a bard in 1st edition. If I recall correctly it's like some bizarre 'prestige class' sort of thing, that always made my head hurt when I looked at it. I enjoyed playing one in 2nd edition. Basically every other edition but 1e did it right.

    I liked what we did with treasure in the trolls game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely doing the "Spend for Experience" thing we did in Return of the Trolls. I'm even intendint to put some of the things that people bought in ROTT as pieces of treasure in some of the dungeons (I think I have one of Marlon's paintings of himself in one of the rooms already).

    ReplyDelete