Monday, June 18, 2012

Behind the Screen, Rhylanor Express #2

I'm still ambivalent about the multiple characters.   There are good things and bad things, and I can't quite decide which is better.  It was nice to have a variety of skills, but it seemed like a bit of a mob, and the focus wasn't nearly as tight as it had been in session #1.

The main adventure was actually, for once, based on an adventure I found online called "Dismal Luck." I had to change some features, move it from the Solomani Rim to the Spinward Marches, change a few details to match the sector and planet details.  I had to change some of the combat details to match the Striker based system I'm using, and also decided to change a few names to make them more pronounceable.  (For example, Bigsby's name in the original was much longer and much more French).  Luckily, Heroni was just as much of a butthole of a planet as Dismal was in the Solomani Rim, so it was easy to put the adventure there.

I enjoyed the Hobos and how everything with their exploding barrels of gunpowder worked out.   It was just so wrong that your ATV, running noisy, managed to surprise the first group who were cautiously concealed in the mountains, but bad luck can't always fall only on the PC's I reckon.

I was a little surprised when the security dude killed Dorkon.  I had assumed he had picked up some cloth armor or a vacc suit by then, but apparently not.  Without some armor, shotguns are super bad.

It is going to be interesting to see how you manage to get off planet.   I suppose the easiest thing would be if Andrew happened to roll up a guy with a ship and happened to wander by.  But, that probably won't be the answer.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I was surprised at how much each of the characters got to actually do. The diplomat talked to (and tortured) people. The doctor fixed up people that got hurt. My pilot piloted things (and had basically the most effect weapon, by driving that ATV). And all those 1 and 0 skills my guys used in fixing up pieces of the ship, that went well (mostly).

    My biggest problem is I had difficulty keeping my characters straight, and trying to do a different personality for each was all but impossible. I think Marlon had the right idea making them all brothers. I mean, hell...right now my doctor has GOT to be questioning the wisdom of trying for a life on the frontier, rather than taking some nice cushy, well paying job on a civilized world with a strict law level, and a serious lack of people trying to murder you on a daily basis.

    Dave mentioned something about our characters learning other skills, and I think that'd be really helpful. I think one of my characters has the instruction skill that he mentioned, though at 10:30 we all kind of skittered away home awful fast. It might be helpful if the rest of us had a few other skills, like rifle or machine gun or grenades or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll all be dead soon enough. Then we can start somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm . . . Bretodeaux ain't THAT hard to pronounce.
    Glad you found Dismal Luck useful.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete