Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chaotic Characters

I've had one or two people ask about playing Chaotic characters in the upcoming campaign.

I'm really of two minds on the subject.  One side of me thinks "Why on Earth would anyone want to play the bad guys."  With another voice chiming in, "the adventure designs suddenly get a lot more complicated."

The other side says "whatever they want to play is what they should play."  I've only really played an evil guy once and it was pretty much over the top and amazing, but you burn out on it quick and leave a garlicky corpse. 

What's the motivation for wanting to play Chaotics?  I want to understand what people want in that regard before making up my mind.

9 comments:

  1. I just want to run a necromancer-type (I just got through reading a series about necromancers), and a non-chaotic necromancer can't exactly do much in the way of raising the dead.

    It wouldn't greatly offend me to not have access to chaotic characters. Necromancer is just another class I've never run before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's the case, maybe you could start the character as Neutral and change alignment later--I'll look into the rules for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind so much if everyone were chaotic. But why would a good or lawful party even allow chaotic characters to follow them

    ReplyDelete
  4. There doesn't seem to be any rules for changing alignment. I suppose I could just allow Chaotic characters and let Holy Mother Church clean up the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just because the characters are chaotic doesn't necessarily make them evil. Now I want to make the friendliest chaotic character myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only problem is that once the character has been outted as an opposite alignment, why wouldn't the other characters dump him? A liability that's most likely to turn on them at the worst possible moment? Who wants that?
    Then there's the player antipathy that's generated from the whole thing. I'm not saying that I prefer one or the other alignment, but I do feel, for the sake of a generally fun gaming experience, the group should be at least somewhat cohesive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Bob is right. The group as a whole should decide Chaotic or Lawful, with neutrals allowable in either case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the first incarnation of this world, I called forth a battle demon, which destroyed a city.
    In the second incarnation, I was a "humble" halfling scout, who built a town.
    I'm thinking we need to rock Empires this time.

    ReplyDelete