Friday, August 2, 2013

Vacation Reading 2: Capsule Reviews

The Age of Odin:
An English ex-soldier, modern day,  gets swept up in Ragnarok.  Hero is a bit of a jerk.  There's no real explanation of why he's so capable and everyone else isn't.  Meh.

Ghost Stories of the Delaware Coast
Poop stories of the Poop coast

Tales of the Mountain Men
Only got through a couple of chapters, there's only so much authentic frontier gibberish one can take.

Castle Old Skull
Awesome e-book, guide to designing an old-school megadungeon.  Crammed full of suggestions on room types, atmosphere, planning suggestions, setting integration etc.  Really a good read.

Quag Keep by Andre Norton
First D&D novel ever written, 1978,  I had read it before, I think I liked it a little better this time, but it was overall pretty lame.  It had the old "players sucked into the game" jazz.  But what was more grievous was that it was over half way through the book before they got into a proper fight.

Donovan's Brain
Written in 1942, I bought a reprint from 1969.  Amoral scientist preserves the brain of a business tycoon killed in a plane crash.  Keeps brain in a jar with nutrients.  Learns to communicate with brain telepathically, but it's EVIL and starts to take control.  Despite the totally cheesy premise, this book was surprisingly really, really good.  The unfolding mystery of Donovan's plan and the story of his life gradually unrolling was very well done.

The Lazy DM
e-book advise on cutting down prep time.   Far too new school for me.  Focuses on aspects of the game that I just don't care about.

Everything I needed to know I learned in Kindergarten (the POSTER)
Whoever the fiend was who decorated this apartment, hung a poster summarizing "Everything I needed to know I learned in Kindergarten" but they hung it right behind the toilet, so I had to read the damned thing every time I took a pee.   What horrible cruelty!  What unbelievable evil!  By the end of the week I'm just muttering "Shut-up Martin" over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment