Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mutants and Muskets post mortem

I had a basic system of my own about 1/3 finished for Mutants and Muskets when you guys talked me into Savage Worlds.   The switch in systems caused a lot of change in how the campaign played out.   First of all, the game got a lot more over the top.  When we had mutant powers and weird science, it made the whole setting much more gonzo and much less gritty than I had first imagined.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, almost every campaign I've ever done has been gritty in imagination, but goofy in practice.  Just as the characters were goofy, I enjoyed cooking up weird, goofy mutants of all sorts.   The original scheme would have seen mostly mutant cannibals, rabid dogs and a few mutant animals that weren't outrageous.  That would have been fine for fiction, but weird mutants were much more fun.

The characters also were a lot more broken than they could ever have been in my system.  I ended having to replace the standard ape-men with tough ape-men, and had to give most enemies 11+ on toughness just to make it worth putting them on the table.   I suspect that some people weren't cyphering correctly, but I decided not to care. 

I probably shouldn't have set the armor ratings so high for the breastplates.   I let myself be led by the desire to have gradually improving equipment, rather than keeping the danger level under control.   Having so many guys with 12-13 toughness just fed into the arms race.

I do know that Marlon's character made it impossible to have any adventure with a heavy role-playing component.  He would just say "roll persuasion" or whatever and add 8 to his dice and win.  Yeah, that's a big incentive for me to put in a lot of role-playing encounters.

Savage World's flaws always leak out in the end.  You have broken, one-note characters and battles turn on a randomly occurring humongous damage roll.

I really enjoyed the overland exploration and the encounter system I used.  And then after a while, I had had enough.   Luckily you guys had the truck at that point so I just tried to pressure you into taking the truck everywhere.  That wasn't my plan, but it came as a relief.  

I especially enjoyed the two set-piece battles in Scarptown.   Just having a miniatures battle every once in a while is just plain cool.  Since old school D&D and Savage Worlds were both developed from miniatures battle systems, we've been able to do them now and again.

The Bat-cave dungeon and the Crab People dungeon were both excellent crawls.  I also learned enough about the 12" square geomorph scheme to be confident enough to rely on it for ACKS.   The railroady  Speed-boat/hurricane opening of the crab people dungeon was pretty darn cool too.

I couldn't have dreamed up anything better than Nut-Spanky in my wildest pre-planning fevered dreams.  The fact that he shot down Jock in his junk 3 times in 3 separate sessions was just freaking amazing.

7 comments:

  1. I always have mixed feelings about Savage Worlds. I like how adaptive it is, I like not being killed instantly (usually), and I like the variety offered to develop a player. I hate the battle system, it seems to drag on for ever, and as you said, seem to stem on one massive lucky hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really believe that Savage Worlds is a system that really excels for short term campaigns. After you get to a certain point, it really devolves into the one hit, one kill sort of thing. Some day I'd really love to run the zombie apocalypse setting (which carries with it very strict character creation rules) for a couple of sessions.

    I loved the professor in the game, whipping out one crazy-ass invention after another, and they'd either decimate the badguys or blow themselves to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I do like Savage Worlds in small doses. I just wish there were one Generic Universal Role Playing System that we could use across all our variety of games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its awesome that Old Cookie lived through the whole thing. Where's Old Cookies story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Savage Worlds works best for really short campaigns. Otherwise you start to have characters that are horrifically overpowered in terms of gear or abilities.

    I really wanted to play up more of Professor Elemental being a bizarro time traveler, but I think his weird science stuff kind of self-regulated damage. With the exception of the fighting trousers (which only worked like once, the entire game) everything else seemed to blow up almost as much as they worked. I admit, I did make my back-up character to be just as possibly overpowered in combat as he could be, and to be almost completely retarded outside of a fight.

    Dave, I think the armor problem would've been resolved, at least a little, by including the armor piercing for weapons. Of course that does also add another complication for figuring out damage.

    Two words: Cookie Swanson. If Cookie hadn't been taken out with that initial volley during the last battle, I think he would've turned the tide of the entire battle much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggled with Savage Worlds and armor for the last Orion campaign. There is most certainly a "sweet spot" where conflict is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i may as well consider savage worlds my first RPG one session of D&D 16 years ago doesnt really count, i did enjoy it dave did a great job of constructing the scenarios and some great names for the henchman nut shot spanky can rot in hell as far as im concerned, but there is that particular flaw in the system of getting one huge damage roll, if you were only allowed one reroll on an ace it may balance things out a little bit

    ReplyDelete