Friday, April 12, 2013

Adventurer Conquerer King Characters

I'm poking around the Adventurer, Conquerer, King System (ACKS) and am definitely finding it to my liking.   It's bones are the Basic/Expert D&D system, but it has some interesting modifications which are minor in verbiage, but possibly very interesting in practice.

The character generation plan is a good one:  everyone rolls 5 characters, using 3d6 in order.   Each player picks 1 of his rolled characters as his PC, and then 2 as back-ups, and then gives the remaining 2 to the Judge as NPC's or Henchmen. 

One other interesting feature is the "Experience Reserve", you can spend money on totally non-useful things (Much like we did in the Badlands Campaign) but that spent money doesn't go toward your experience, but rather into a "Reserve".   If your PC dies, then the reserve is given to the PC's heir so he doesn't begin at 0 experience.

2 comments:

  1. I've read a few of the things on/about ACK, and it does sound like it has potential. I'm interested in reading your copy of the game before I consider purchasing the game for myself.

    My real question would be if a campaign using this system would take the place of our Boscovania campaign? I kind of like where that campaign is/was, and the characters involved. If you do decide to roll the old campaign into this new system, I'd suggest we make up the new characters like you said, and run them for a few sessions till we get the hang of things. But we can actually convert our old characters quite easily (there's an easily found set of guidelines for conversions on their forums).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason these are the very questions forefront in my mind. My next main topic will be right along those lines.

    If you bring along a flash drive next week I could lend you a PDF of the game (I bought PDF and hard copy). This goes for the rest of you too.

    ReplyDelete