Saturday, April 13, 2013

Return to Boscovania?

Thinking about an Adventurer, Conquerer, King campaign, the first major question is which setting to use.

I have a certain inclination to use the Gatavia Region, we've used for "Return of the Trolls" and "AD&D Badlands" campaigns.   Jason has expressed an interest in taking up the Badlands campaign where we left off, and that sounds somewhat tempting to me too.

A couple of obstacles: 

#1 Hexes vs. Squares: all of the campaign material for ACKS is expressed in 6 mile hexes and 24 mile hexes.   I have really soured on using hexes for mapping.   I much prefer either a ruler with no grid, or a square grid.  With a square grid the math is easier, and it is far easier to scale up and to scale down for larger or smaller maps.   Of course, the Gatavia Map is square-gridded (10 mile small squares, 50 mile large squares).  

Luckily, I've done a quick run through of the rules, and it turns out that they are all stated in square miles as well as hexes, and the hexes aren't key at all.  So, the mapping conventions are not as important as I thought they would be.

#2:  Conversion:  much of the conversion might be a bit dicey.  For one thing, the designer of the ACKS hates halflings, and there are no halfling character classes in either book.  Also, there are no rules for illusionists.  Therefore, Bosco Tripod and Nigel Mysterio are left flapping in the breeze.   These two are really minor problems rather than major ones.   In the Gatavia universe, halflings are biologically more or less completely human.  We could easily just allow halflings to use a limited selection of human classes and go on from there.  Worse comes to worse I would just play Nigel as a wizard.
         More serious problems with conversion would have to do with various plans and spending history of the characters.   They would have spent and invested based on the "old" economy and assumptions, and would find themselves in a new surrounding, having bought things or spent massively for reasons that no longer apply.  Also, ability scores would have to be seriously modified, probably to the point of re-rolling ability scores to re-describe the characters in  the new scale. 

So the conversion project might be awkward and wonky, but if everyone were patient and cool, it would eventually work out.


What's the upside:  When we play D&D in almost any form our campaigns tend to be significantly longer-running than with other games.  Most campaigns we run are 10-15 sessions, while D&D based games are 20-30 sessions.  When we started the Badlands, I wanted to start a really long term game.  And when we broke for Kings of Orion, it was more because of Andrew's eagerness to GM it than because of any lack of momentum.   It was my intention to pick up Badlands where we left off, but then I had an unfortunate case of severe Traveller fever (something I catch every five years or so, but which usually passes).  When that passed, I sort of stumbled into Mutants and Muskets by accident.  Now that ACKS has come into view, I see that it could be a vehicle to make Badlands into the super-long campaign I always had heard about but never  had really seen, and which I always wanted to be involved in.

It would take very little setting conversion to get running.  I used very similar population density assumptions as the ACKS crew, and our opinions on Alignment are in remarkably exact agreement.  I'll have to do some work with the Old Ones to make them fit into the scheme (but they may be close enough to the decadent Zahar of ACKS to fit). 

What do I think:   I'm putting a peg in the idea of re-starting the Badlands where we left off, only converting to ACKS.   It currently ranks as a "Very Good Idea".  But, I want to think everything else out too.   I think we would allow everyone to either convert their characters, henchmen and possessions over or, if they preferred, create some replacements.  In any case, I don't think we need to play first level D&D guys, we've all done that enough times to know what it's like, and we don't need to suffer through it again.


8 comments:

  1. I'm a little confused about the need to re-start the economy. From what I've read of ACKs the economy of GP->XP is the EXACT same thing we used in Gatavia.

    As for halflings, gnomes, etc I say you just bolt your rules on to ACKs. Create your own halflings, or simply grab the rules from Dark Dungeons (the rules from which ACKs is based).

    The author also has major wood for that "bladedancer" class that just seems wrong for Gatavia.

    My two cents, FWIW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major wood for the blade dancer...couldn't have said it better myself. Now, retro-fitting the blade dancer into Gatavia wouldn't be tough. The Blade Dancers could be an Easterling or Southron Lawful organization that has only recently arrived in the North West, after the grand unification of Lawful sects. One blade dancer domain in the Dual Kingdom of Portchester wouldn't be outrageous. But, again, I don't see a stampede of blade dancer PC's in our near future.

    As to economy, remember in Gatavia it was XP for each gold piece SPENT on non-adventuring goals. While in ACKS, it's one XP for each gold piece gotten home and stored (and it could be spent or saved on anything). So, most PC's have spent more than they otherwise might have on non-adventuring stuff, so they might not be in the same position of cash reserve for castles or magical research than they might have been. But, again, it's a minor point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, some of the things you mention that are lacking about classes are covered in the player's companion, from what I've read. From a review it says they have a chapter on creating and balancing your own classes, and specifically making race specific classes. If I like what I'm reading with the main book, I'll definitely pick up the player's book as well, so we can always use stuff from there once we get adjusted a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, I've got the Player's Companion. It's pretty sweet actually. We could make all the Gnome classes we wanted, but it also doesn't include Halflings (the guy really hates halflings). The problem with Illusionists isn't the class structure, it's the spell list. It would take juggling spells in the main book and player's companion, and then adding a bunch from AD&D, it's certainly possible, but it is just something on the downside of the ledger. None of the downsides are seriously large difficulties, but one must list them before moving onwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FWIW, I *really* hate halflings too so ACKs guy and I have that in common. Well, that and the boner for nuns with swords.

      All "little folk" really must die. From those stupid Kender in Forgotten Realms to Bilbo, Frodo, and Dildo in Tolkien's work. I just want to cut their throats, put 'em on a spit, and cook them.

      Halflings. It's what's for dinner!

      Delete
    2. Doesn't Dark Dungeons have an Illusionist class? We could just use that.

      Delete
  5. I find it funny that the guy hates halflings, yet uses Bilbo Baggins as an example of a higher level character during the leveled character in population discussion.

    Myself, if I ran a mage-type spellcaster with their much more limited number of spells known, I would cut and paste the spells from the various PDFs into something I could print out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really be up for a super long campaign. It's been quite a while since we've had characters in the high level ranges.

    ReplyDelete