Monday, November 18, 2013

Train Guys: The Dangers of Rhetorical Irony

After Fall-In, I posted the following on THE MINIATURES PAGE (TMP) message board:

"I went to Fall In this weekend and had a great time. But, Sunday I was driving around the old hometown and passed by a model train store. My wife turns to me and says "Were there any train guys at your convention."
My first thought was "Train guys? Those jerks? Yuck."
Then I got to thinking, whether there was indeed any real overlap between the two superficially similar hobbies.
I mean I can't remember meeting war gamers who admitted to also being model train guys, but that doesn't mean there aren't such animals out there.
I also know most war gamers have gone into train stores at one time or another looking for buildings or trees. I also did use some of the buildings from my train set (which I had when I was 10, and put aside soon after) for terrain for a recent post-apocalyptic game.
So, my question is whether there are any significant number of TMPers out there who are also Model Train enthusiasts?"

Apparently, the irony of a toy-soldier guy calling toy-train guys "jerks" was lost on at least one fellow.   He called me a bad person for calling train guys jerks.   I, of course, immediately apologized, but it did serve as a reminder to keep a firm hand on the rhetorical irony in a purely written context.

1 comment: