Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ability Scores

When I created the stack of NPC/henchmen, and the NPC parties for encounters I used 2d6+6, arrange to taste, as the method for creating ability scores.  I had never used this method before and found that I liked it.  It cuts out having piss-poor scores but still keeps 18's less than universal (I guess 1 in 2 characters should end up with 1 18 on average).

I've changed the bonuses for high charisma to make them more like the bonuses to the other scores and to work with my initiative and morale system.

I'm rather more stumped about what to do about Strength.   I almost decided to dump percentile strength about 6 times but talked myself back, since that it one thing people really expect to see with AD&D.  I never really liked it, but do think that it might just be envy, having played too many 17 strength fighters.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I recall all the characters I had with mediocre stats. Scrabbling and scraping to attempt to keep up with all the other players whose characters always seemed to have above generous stats. It sucked then (did anybody ever know a person who actually did roll an 18/00 strength? I never have, but there were two in various groups I gamed with before).

    We don't play average schmucks, we play exceptional people. Heroes (or villains) of above average caliber. This should allow for a good range of stats.

    ReplyDelete