Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Visit to the Comic Shops

Sunday I took a trip both to Comic Store West and the new Planet X comics.   I didn't see any game materials that I had to have, but wanted to support my local merchants, so I bought some comics from both stores (also placed an ad for new game club members at CSW).   Here's a quick review:

Justice Society of America 80-page Annual:  --meh-- I guess when the first story is about a gay superhero at the adoption office trying to adopt a kid, you know you're not going to be filled with action-packed goodness.  I mean, what the hell has happened to comic books anyway? 

Batman #700:---meh--one story over several time periods with several generations of Batmen.  I don't think I really got it.   It was less than exciting or suspenseful.  I guess I'm not up on the current unfolding of the Batman story either.

Tomb of Terror Super Issue #1--meh--a variety of horror themed stories, all in black and white.  I kept drifting away.

IT!  The Terror from Beyond Space #3 (of three)--a sci-fi monster story, very similar to the movie "Alien", in the words of Dom Deluise in History of the World part 1 "nice, not thrilling, but nice."

Magnus, Robot Figher, 4000 AD  #1:  saving the best for last.  In the Far Future, mankind is completely dependent on robots to do everthing.  But, the robots are turning evil!   Magnus, raised by a robot in secret, is mighty enough to snap robot necks with his bare hands, which he does, running around in his short-shorts, sleeveless t-shirt, and short white boots ensemble.   This is a reprint of a book from the 60's, which Dark Horse has ressurected.   Filled with proper robot-neck-snapping goodness.

Conclusion
New Fangled comics:  art is high quality, stories suck. 
Old School comics: art is suck, stories are goofy, but awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the JSA thing there, and was equally disappointed with it. Personally I think the series kinda stinks unless Black Adam is ripping people in half in that issue.

    ReplyDelete