Monday, October 11, 2010

NPC spells

Of course when characters get horribly killed, level-drained or cursed, they're going to want to go to a higher level wizard or cleric and get it repaired/fixed.   I'm trying to work a fair way to handle it.   It's got to be more than a price list.  

I'm thinking perhaps that for doing certain quests, you can get an official "boon" from the church or the wizard that can be used to get the right to purchase a spell.  I figure that the Lawful Church has some sort of requirement that a large portion of a bishop's Raise Dead and Cure Disease spells must be used to help the poor and helpless, so that you need to have done the church a solid to jump to the head of the line.

3 comments:

  1. As much as it pains me to say it, but this is kind of how it should be. I mean, temples shouldn't really be like McDonalds drive through, though the thought does make me laugh.

    'Welcome to McDeity's, would you like to try our Cure Blindness special for only a platinum piece?'

    'No thanks. I'd like two cure serious wounds, a regenerate spell, and instead of a resurrection spell for Slappy the Melee Wizard, we're going to get him a reincarnate.'

    'Will that be all? Would you like to purchase any potions or scrolls today?'

    'You know, actually yeah. Give me two Potions of Extra healing and a scroll of cure disease, I got a date tonight.'

    'Very good, that will be 85,000gp in coinage or magic items, please pull around.'

    It also encourages people to either play a healer of some sort, or take an interest in getting one as a henchman.

    I like the idea of the quests for the upper end healing spells at least getting your feet in the door to the bishop types.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on my hatred for spells that raise the dead. I don't want to fight alongside any zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I can see it now...
    Scary Wizard," Ahh.Yes, I can get the Amulet of Mulligans you need...But first I need you to go the the Canyon of Doom which hides the Castle of Utter Despair and therein lay the Catacombs of Futile Endeavors. Retrive for me the Acursed Fistula of Malevolence."
    Party, "Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!"

    ReplyDelete