Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Knock Down

The provisional rule I've been using for Knockdowns (  a roll of maximum damage for a weapon of 1d6 or greater will knock prone any target of the same or smaller size) has me a little uneasy.  I like the effect, I like the simplicity and elegance, but I dislike the math.   The way it stands, a short sword will knock guys down more often than longswords, which will in turn knock down people more often than 2-handed swords.

I don't want the rule to get really complicated, but I want it to be reasonable.

The only solution I can see is to limit the effect to 2-handed weapons only (and to the attacks of large monsters). 

Should I make the limitation?  Drop the rule?  Ingore the unbalanced effect and let it stand as is?
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it, that does seem rather screwy that little weapons do that better than the large weapons. I think you're right that 2-handed weapons, and big monsters, should do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about using a target number like in Savage Worlds. If you used 6 as the target number then longswords knock down roughly twice as often as shortswors and greatswords twice as often as longswords.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete