Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Combat Rules

I've been thinking a little a bit about the Gang-up bonus.   While I really like it, on the whole, there are a few issues that may need a few limits or tweaks.   I think we made need to put an upper limit to the bonus that can accrue.  I think that +10 or +11 is just too much.   There just isn't anything else in the game that gives any similar massive bonus.  Perhaps, either a +4 or +5 as a maximum on the gang-up bonus would be a good idea.   The problem is that large, single monsters are just at too much of a disadvantage against crowds.  On the other hand,  I would like to see a crowd of cave monkeys totally swarm a PC sometime.  I guess it bears some further thought.

I do want to re-integrate the Shield Sacrifice rule, and the Knock-back on a natural 15.  The shield sacrifice adds a bit of tactical balance (an immediate reduction on damage, in exchange for giving up the shield protection and possibly shield wall).  The knock-back gives a chance to chance position and push through lines that can shake things up. 

2 comments:

  1. I think a limit of +5 isn't bad. It still gives an advantage to the one with numbers, and I'm pretty sure when we first started that was the limit (it might've been in another game too, I don't recall exactly).

    Shield sacrifice hasn't been thought of, because basically we haven't had anybody but henchmen doing our heaviest fighting. I know I'd use it in an instant with my fighter, if the blow might be heavy enough or the fight was really going against me.

    I like the idea of the knockback. I would think that there might be a provision in there for, say, multiple lines of troops in a formation. You knock one back, but the guy behind him might have a chance to move up (even if it does disrupt the front line's shield wall).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob here...
    Seems like "No Limit" might make more sense. Think of being surrounded by half a dozen kobolds all stabbing at you from front, back and sides. Seems like it'd be REAL hard to defend if you're being stabbed at from all sides at the same time, then throw in a second rank with long spears. The down side would be that all of those people would be commited to that one attack, even if the first blow kills it.

    ReplyDelete