Thursday, July 14, 2011

Maps, Cards, and Retirees

Since we were only about 2/3 finished with the first level of the Cathedral Crypt, I large-scaled that one too.
Next thing I want to do is to map out on a bigger scale, the region in the Badlands where Boscovania is.  I think we could get some serious action out of putting a focus on that region.  It is sort of right where Portchester, the Realm of Dengwur, and the City State of Urvotz (the Old Ones) come together and with Bosco Tripod's out post there, it's the new Dodge City.

By the way, I'd like a few things from the players.  From Bob, I'd like my own copy of the map of Boscovania.   From Andrew and Jason, I'd like a 1-page (PDF) description of the establishments of your retired characters, enough that anyone DMing could use them.  If Andrew could also do one for the Mystic McFarley horse ranch, that'd be cool too.

I've been thinking about the "Green Deck".   I've added a few contacts (2 "fences" and 1 purchase opportunity).  It's been bringing back my idea for an event deck.  Orginally, it was going to be a separate deck that had a wide variety of events, from events that affected only 1 player, to events that effected the whole kingdom.   It's conceivable that I could roll the event deck into the Green Deck, but then the events might get totally swallowed up by the goods and contacts.  Should I proceed with the making the Event Deck, now that, for a while, I have the time?

Do we want to have a face-to-face DM pow-wow some time?  Meet for coffee or a drink or dinner or something?

4 comments:

  1. I'm actually thinking Boscovania is really in a very advantageous place. He's technically outside Portchester's territory, and so outside Portchester's direct jurisdiction as well as the church's influence. In reality, the Portchester border guard probably runs occasional patrols around the area, but he's pretty set for anybody from the city who wants to do business outside the government's view. With all those different groups having interests in the area, Boscovania could be a neutral ground. I'm thinking sort of like Rick's Place from Cassablanca or Babylon 5. Of course, this does leave him open to much less civilized groups stopping in.

    I actually don't have anything on hand create PDF files, but I can write up a thing in a word file and send it on. Fortunately I've kept an idea of what my estate is like.

    I liked the idea of the event deck when you talked about it in the start of the campaign, and I like it now. The DM can draw the card, and if it's a single player event, then the DM can just dice to see who gets it (or have the players dice to avoid it). The events don't have to be all bad, there could be good ones worked into the deck. Nothing springs immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are some. Maybe have stuff related to not only the general campaign world (I recall you mentioning a Northron invasion as one idea), but also like if a character owned property or livestock (say, minor to moderate disaster springs up at your farm/estate or your herd/mount).

    I'm not opposed to having a DM meeting, but right now I'm working as much OT at work as possible, so a little notice or maybe just DM email exchange could work to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Bob...

    The exact reason for Boscovania being where it is. On the river for quick transport, close to several areas of interest, and outside of (but not tofar outside) the Portchester influence. Next things to be built river docks and a ferry crossing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way....
    Your blog is still blocking my gmail, tried 3 times to post on an earlier subject and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It blocks my own gmail too, and it's my blog.

    You just have to post using the anonymous or name/url comment

    ReplyDelete