Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thoughts on Initiative, Charisma, and Wisdom

I've been thinking about the method of rolling initiative.   What I wanted was to use the Old School method of rolling 1d6 by both sides and taking the higher of the two.  That's how it was done in the old days, and that's what seemed right.  However, having Charisma factoring into Initiative seemed to make a whole lot of sense, and helps to make it not a dump stat, so I allowed the highest Charisma character add a bonus based on his score to add to the roll.

In practice, however, I've been dissatisfied with the method.  The d6 range is just too small and any bonus at all ends up with the PC's nearly always winning, since most monsters don't have ability scores.  The last thing I want to do is give all the monsters ability scores, I mean that's one of the main reasons I decided to use first edition rather than 3rd or 4th. 

I think maybe I'll switch to d12 instead of d6.  That will make the chance for the bad guys to win slightly more often more within the realm of possiblity.

I've also been rolling some characters "The Awesome Squad" and noticed just how much Wisdom is the total dump stat.   Unless you're a cleric, there isn't much use in wisdom.   I don't know what could be done about that.   I am generally reminded that I prefer the Basic D&D ability score progression to the AD&D one, but sic transit gloria mundi now.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the iniative. Basically it's always 'the players go first', and the few times it wasn't the players going first the fights get a lot closer.

    You're right that wisdom is underutilized. Dex, strength, and con at higher levels it's obvious their benefits. Charisma, mostly because of our initiative system here. Intelligence, pretty much for magic users or characters who can speak a lot of languages. Wisdom, bonus clerical spells and pretty much meh to the saving throw bonus.

    ReplyDelete