Saturday, July 9, 2011

Meet the Awesome Squad

I'm going to play some solo games during the next few weeks in order to get a feel for a few things and to help get the old brain working.  I created a party of 6 guys, each with 7000 experience points (half of what Nigel has).   If something happens to Nigel, I can then just pull in one of them instead.  But, I worked up a bunch of guys that are the kind of guys I like to play.

I've put their character sheets on the Badlands wiki at this page:
http://www.lordsofhack.com/home/doku.php?id=the_awesome_squad

But here's a summary of the characters:

Lothar:  human, thief, level 4.  Decent stats, straight thief, should be very useful in a dungeon, we'll see.  I've always wanted to do a straight human thief, but have never done so in D&D.  I did a thief/fighter combo in Conan, and a bandit in Warhammer, but not a plain old D&D thief.
Waldahar, human, fighter, level 3:  by far the best ability scores of the whole party (an 18, 2 17's and a 16), I've never rolled that well in my life.  He's the leader-type and the beefcake rolled into one.  I've set him up to either be able to attack with a pole-axe or a sword/dagger combo.
Steve McNasty:  gnome, thief/illusionist level 3/2, another in a long series of gnome illusionists in my illustrious career.  I think the combo (along with the mage-thief) to be one of the best.
Tavish Hardrock:  human, bard, level 4;  I really want to see how a bard works in practice.  The bard class we're using is the 2nd edition bard, back-fitted to 1st edition (actually very similar to the original D&D bard from the early Dragon magazine)  its sort of a thief/fighter/mage with various bits of each nerfed, with some additional charm and legend lore powers.   We'll see how useful he is.
The Mighty Sword: human, gothi of Tiwaz, level 4:  rolled really crap for stats.  I originally was going to make him a Druid, but he has a 15 and a 12 as his 2 best stats, and as a druid, the 15 would have had to be Charisma.  Making him a gothi (I wanted all the characters to be neutral, so cleric was out) at least allowed him to have 3 cure light wounds.  I chose Tiwaz, so he'd get the +1 to hit and damage with a sword, which should make him of some use in combat.  He's really just the party wound healer.
Terrific Tiberio:  human, summoner, level 3:  I wante dto give Summoner another try, since my first one was killed horribly in a solo adventure.  I thought the party could use another member, and a dedicated caster to boot.  He should be at least as useful as Nigel is.

2 comments:

  1. Hey how are you running a solo? Just a question cause I might want to run a solo for my self.

    -Gabriel Leadfoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I draw out the map by hand. Them I make a quick set of charts on room contents
    1d10
    1-3 Monster
    4-6 Monster and Treausre
    7-8 Empty
    9 Treasure
    10 Treasure and Trap

    I then use the D&D Monster and Treasure assortment to roll the monsters and treasures encounters. The traps are on the treasure chest, and do damage to the thieves if they fail to detect and remove them.

    If you don't have the Monster and Treasure Assortment, you can use the encounter tables in the DMG.

    ReplyDelete