Monday, July 18, 2011

What I'd port in from 3rd edition D&D

There are 2 major things I would port in from D&D 3e

After plying around with the charts awhile, I do think the ascending AC and bonus system probably makes for a faster game.   Although the repeating 20's and the maximum of -10 (equivalent of ascending AC30) from AD&D 1e help keep AC explosion under control,  it still would be easier to do AC= target number.

Secondly,  I'd like to use some sort of system of Feats.  Having different combat guys having different moves and talents is fun.   While spell casters get new stuff all the time, fighters have to depend on magic items for new abilities.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the to hit changes. I hadn't thought about THAC0 in years, and it just seems to be the easiest way for me to handle the monsters in the games I run.

    I would also have to second the use of feats for fighters. It'd be nice to have my fighter stand out in some manner, other than 'I'm using D8 weapon number 3, and he's using D8 weapon number 1'.

    I would also suggest that the will/reflex/endurance (or whatever they're called, I know them from Neverwinter Nights) might speed things up a little bit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just as soon the "Labyrnith Lord" system where there is only 1 type of Saving Throw. Having 3 types isn't that much of an improvement over 5 types.

    ReplyDelete