Thursday, May 16, 2013

Map problems solved and discovered

I went around town this morning looking for a solution that didn't involve extortion-level shipping.   I couldn't find 12" cardboard squares, but I did discover that the scrap-booking universe works in a 12"x12" mode.   I thought perhaps that 12"x12" card stock might do the trick.   I was going for the 12x12 in the first place because for transferring maps from graph paper to table top in the "slow reveal" method, a square would be slightly more convenient, but more importantly if one wanted to do something geomorphic, where the maps could be rotated and combined in different orders they would produce different layouts, a square rather than a rectangle would be absolutely essential.

So, I did pick up some 12x12 card stock packs (40 sheets for about $5 at good old Walmart).  I think they should do the trick, and I'll give them a whirl for the guano caves.

I was thinking about my ACKS first dungeon.   Then it hit me, on the graph paper I was using the traditional 1 square equals 10 feet scale.  But on the table we use a 1 inch (or 1 square) equals 5'.  I've already said that the map is big.  The graph paper in question is 5 squares to the inch.  The dungeon area covers about 10 inches by 7 inches.   That would translate to 100 inches by 70 inches on the table top (my tables total 60 inches by 60 inches).   It would take approximately 48 of those card stock sheets to draw out the map in total (just guessing, but it would be at least 4 of the big pieces, maybe more).

Hmmmm.   Methinks I need a smaller dungeon, or an alternative plan for that site.

2 comments:

  1. If you were using the dungeon dice, wouldn't you only need to re-use the same blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the Dungeon Dice are indeed square, and look like you could make them represent 12x12" areas, I reckon I could just make 30 squares, corresponding to the 30 sides of the 5 dice. I'll have to think about whether that is really worth it. Dungeon Dice, I believe would be better for sort of old-schooling it for a random dungeon as we went, using our ceramic tiles when we needed to do a fight.

    ReplyDelete