Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Star Trek Into Darkness (Spoiler Free)

While waiting for Mr. Plinkett to review it properly, I thought I'd talk a little about the new Star Trek movie.

1) Error in the Credits:   it said it was directed by J.J. Abrams, but I think it was actually directed by Rodney the Action-Man.

2)  All Height, No Depth:   honestly, I can hardly imagine a movie being more emotionally shallow than this one.   I can hear the pitch meeting:
Boss: "Okay, let's keep conversations to 90 seconds or less",
Flunky:  "How much time do we have for explaining back-story?"
Boss:  "I think 2 minutes, strechted over the entire movie, should do it."
Flunky:  "Sounds like a plan."

On the other hand, I can hardly imagine a movie being more exciting than this one, it bowls you over with constant ACTION ACTION ACTION:  and it's all really, really good.

3)  The Big Reveal:  it turns out that the bad guy is really a different guy.  That revelation adds absolutely nothing to the progress of the movie.   It has an impact on Star Trek fans, but for non-trek people, it just means they start calling him by a different name.

4) Sherlock kicks ass:   the bad guy really is frightening when he busts people up, it was awesome.

5) Overall:   as long as you aren't looking for deep thought, deep feeling, real character development, it really was super-beyond awesome.   I'd have to say it was the second best Star Trek movie ever.
Anything else starts to wander into spoiler country.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the dude kicking butt in itself kicked butt. And the big reveal was somewhat...lackluster.

    But the one thing I learned from this movie: Never, ever make Spock mad, or he will eff you up.

    ReplyDelete