Monday, September 2, 2013

First Session of ACKS, thoughts

     Despite the fact that you have to roll 3d6 in order, the character generation gives some entirely acceptable results.  Roll 5 guys, chuck 2, and keep 2 as backups gets rid of the total losers.
      The "reduce on score by 2, and raise a Prime by 1" system makes it really easy to get a fighter with an 18 strength or a thief with an 18 Dex.   I don't know about the thieves, but fighters with 18 strength really kick ass.   Sigbrand and Murderface really tore through the goblins and kobolds like tissue paper.
      The large number of class choices, and the Proficiencies slow down character generation.   I imagine later in the process when we're all more familiar with everything, it will get faster, but 5 people making 5 characters at once made for slow moving.
     Because we spent less time on play testing than I'd planned, it was nice we got a whole short adventure in.   The old Basic D&D Monster/Treasure assortments worked just fine for ACKS with little modification.
     I wish I had dumped the Lizardmen, I just don't see how they're going to be any good in actual play.  Everyone in town is just going to scream "Ahh, Lizardmen!"  

6 comments:

  1. Hah! My character ended up getting something of a boost, after nearly dying there. A bonus to intimidation on top of the intimidation skill. Of course with that -4 to reactions on top of my already bad charisma (-5 to reactions, total), makes it so I'm pretty much never going to be able to get henchmen or hirelings, and even if I do, they'll run off at the first opportunity. Of course, if I Intimidate them into following me and maybe chain their feet. Or possibly just offer obscene amounts of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, I'd say it felt pretty much D&D-ish. It was cool the mage got to strangle a goblin to death with his one spell a day. My fighters' high con saved his bacon. The 18 strength didn't hurt either(at least not me). I do like how quick it is to figure "to hit". I'll be interested to see how well we do when we're in town and have to interact with npcs. With a 6 charisma, I don't think I'll be making many new friends, but then, I am a vicious, stinking barbarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the wonder worker that ive managed to get allows me to have 1 extra henchmen than my level allows, so i don't see it being too much of a problem of a problem to throw into the storyline if if i gain a fighter henchmen that i tell him to tail one of you guys as an apprentice

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I think about it, the more I think I should've named my dwarf 'Action Jack', and run him like Action Man from the Venture Brothers. ACTION!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wonder if by the end of the campaign we are all going to hate ACK, and just be yelling ACK shun

    ReplyDelete