Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mapping musings

Badlands Map Availablity:

I'd like to get a copy of the Badlands Region and the broader Gatavia province in some sort of electronically available format where everyone could reference it when not sitting in my  basement staring at my wall.   Maybe even just cut down to  8"x11" size so everyone could carry a copy.  Does anyone else have an idea how that might be done?   I suppose the simplest way would be just to do a hand-drawn scaled down version and copy it for everyone and then maybe scan it.   But, the grids on graph paper have a bad habit of not scanning or copying well.


Geomorphic Dungeon Tiles:
The other map-related conundrum I'm undergoing is the plan to make some geomorphic squares for quick, instant dungeons.   I see two options for the geomorphic plan:

Option 1:  every square has 4 exits, 1 per side, all at the 6-7" mark of the side.

The first option means that every square matches up with every square along any side, you can just grab any square at random at any side and smack it down.  This will mean more possible combinations, but a certain monotony of result.

Option 2:  every square has 4 exits.   2 of the sides have 1 exit each at the 6-7" mark,  1 side has 2 exits, at the 4" and 8" marks,  and the last side has no exit.   This gives a less monotonous flow, but you can only connect each square in a limited number of ways.

4 comments:

  1. Even if you did it as example 2 without worrying about matching exits. Just have them lead to dead ends. Certainly there'd never be a trap at there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the map, you could get a digital camera and just take a picture. Just frame it so that the map takes up most of the frame. Once it's scanned in, you could blow it up and clean it up or add details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, I'm going to have to stop you at "you could get" maybe if you said "someone could get" it would work. I tried using a digital camera to put the Texas map for Mutants and Muskets on the wiki, and it was extremely inelegant at best. I don't have the faintest idea how to blow up or add details to a digital picture either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have already done this. I'm on the wrong computer right now, though. Rest assured that I have the technology. I take a picture of the map, then overlay features on it that may be too "fuzzy" or "unclear".

    ReplyDelete