Saturday, June 15, 2013

The ACKS campaign and Badaxe Jack's stronghold

 On the Lords of Hack site, Jason outlined the lairs that are in the 10 miles square where he notionally wants to put Badaxe Jack's (from the Badlands Campaign) stronghold--see link:

The Lords of Hack: Securing your stronghold and you...

I think that the scenario that unfolds from these lairs is just completely awesome.  It strikes me that we might do the following: 
Step 1: make official conversions of our characters from Badlands.
Step 2: then make a new set of 3rd level characters from scratch
Step 3: Turn Jason's lairs into a massive underground monster complex, divided into regions and levels.  Give various people who are interested in doing so sections or levels of the dungeon and portions of the monster totals to develop into adventures.
Step 4:  Begin the campaign with the new characters hired to clean out some of the easier sections of the dungeon.
Step 5: introduce the old PC's as patrons and allies, and perhaps rotating them into the game now and again.

I'm now thinking that maybe we don't advance the time-line 10 years, maybe 1 or 2 years, maybe none.  Maybe we don't even need to advance our old PC's in level, or maybe just a level or 2.   Characters can begin to establish strongholds before 9th level, they just don't attract followers or starting batch of peasants until then

1 comment:

  1. I knew all those white apes would get Dave worked up.

    I'd be all up for creating a section of the dungeon complex. When I originally rolled up the monsters, I actually went through a bunch of old modules looking for monster lairs that were of the appropriate size and composition. So I've got a few ideas/locations worked out already.

    Honestly, I like the idea of our old characters being available as allies/patrons at about the 'stronghold' level. They could be switched out if we got the urge to run a slightly higher level session or two. Dave would have Nigel, Bob would Bosco Tripod, I would have Badaxe Jack, and Marlon would have Kumon. I have a lot of free time, so I basically already did all the conversions for Jack.

    As for the starting characters, given that we'll have a couple of new players in the group and possibly have Andrew back, AND we'll be playing a new playing system, I think we should start our characters under the 'adventurer' level players in the back of the book. Basically the players start with 20,000 xp and 16,000 gp to choose a class and buy equipment (or chances for magical gear) or hire NPCs. That much XP gets most classes into 4th level. I would really like, however, to change the character generation a little bit. 3D6 works for me just fine, but I'd like to be able to rearrange them as I want.

    ReplyDelete