Monday, January 4, 2016

New Campaign Rationale

We should be starting a new D&D campaign on July 17th, as I've said on the Club blog.   I just thought I'd explain why I decided to change things up.   It's really just a case of mood.   I was ready for some Traveller at the end of the summer, and had the time to prepare it.  However, we never really got into the actual campaign and just ended up playing 3 sessions of "Grand Theft Auto in Space."   It was actually fun, but we got further and further away from the adventures that I wanted to run, and then with my family troubles and chaos in general, the campaign momentum disappeared. 


Then over Christmas I read a rather disappointing biography of Gary Gygax, titled Empire of Imagination,  and then a much better e-book series about the first 5-6 years of D&D, both about the publishing side and the early campaigns of Gygax and Arneson (the series titled Hawk and Moor).   This got me really into a D&D mood again.  It specifically got me thinking about the Judges Guild material I have in the basement.


However, I didn't want to pick up with ACKS as written again.   There were things I liked, but things I didn't.   I also didn't want to jump right back into Gatavia again or spend time on setting materials rather than play material.


So, when Jason showed up we just started hacking through a list of questions concerning what's the most fun way we've handled various spheres of D&D play.   The Hackmaster Spell list was just a must, what with the Rigor Mortis spell (a paralysis spell that also works on undead), the Hurl Animals spell, the dozen or so different fireball spells and so forth.


I just got more and more excited and more and more into it as we went, so actually as of now I'm more excited about doing the whole rpg thing as I have been in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment